Online Banking Simulation
The goal of Cesim Bank simulation game is to facilitate understanding of the front and back office operations of a bank, their interaction in a competitive environment, and to help cultivate holistic and fact-based management culture, develop analytical skills, and create awareness about the current banking operating environment.
Training programs within the financial industry for both smaller and larger institutions and advanced courses at educational institutions. The banking simulation game offers a wealth of customization options for widest array of use cases and optimal implementation.
The task for participating teams is to manage a bank with several front and back office operations in a single geographical market. In the role of a bank manager, teams will be responsible for consumer and business clients, lending and borrowing, front office and back office, and customers with deposits, mortgages and other credit products and investments. They’ll have personnel to manage, IT systems to maintain and develop, risk metrics to keep in check, regulators to report to and capital markets to raise financing from, provided that they are pleased with the way the bank is managed.
- Retail banking: mortgage and consumer loans, demand and fixed term deposits, service fees
- SME banking: deposits, lending terms, competitive positioning
- Corporate banking: advisory services
- Investment services: three customer segments, marketing communications, portfolio management, securities brokerage
- Investment products: investment funds, partnerships, structured products
- Personnel: number of personnel, compensation policies, training, HR development
- Systems: maintenance, development of products, services and processes
- Risk management: internal policies, external reporting, interest rate risk
- Treasury: credit and equity markets, solvency regulation, central bank, minimum reserves, treasury investments.
Key learning areas:
Pricing of credit and deposit products. Balancing risks and the growth of the balance sheet. The division of bank funding sources into core deposits and managed liabilities. Understanding the bank income statement and balance sheet. The interaction between central bank and commercial banks. Bank specific solvency and liquidity measures and regulation according to international standards. Bank specific terminology and results presentation including many unique financial ratios. Uniqueness of money as the bank’s core product. Profitability of different customer segments and products. Understanding basic banking products and services and how they relate to each other.
Key success factors:
Success is measured and benchmarked by both operational and financial key indicators including assets under management, deposit and credit product growth, bank image, risk metrics, credit rating, net interest margin, cost / income ratio, credit impairments, net profit margin, return on assets, return on equity etc. The ultimate indicator in the bank management simulation game is the total shareholder return p.a., which consolidates all the key success factors into one measurable criterion that can be used to compare the performance of each team.
Corporate and educational sector benefits:
- Complete and holistic view into the operations of a full-scale bank in a dynamic competitive environment
- Bank specifics: income statement, balance sheet, ratios, regulations, central bank
- Core stakeholder management: customers, personnel, government, shareholders.
- Value drivers: financial performance, customer appreciation and loyalty, personnel loyalty, compliance to regulations, brand image
- Risk management thinking: maturities, collateral, interest rate gaps, risk-weighted assets, classification of risks, controls, reporting, balance between risks and growth
- Growth opportunities: identification, utilization of scarce resources, segmentation, up-selling and cross-selling
- Unparalleled teamwork simulation and problem solving exercise
- The simulation can be delivered in wide range of content configurations and allows for far reaching low-level customization to target optimal learning outcomes
- The Cesim Bank simulator is a robust platform for further development and tailoring for a wide range of training programs and goals.
Cesim Bank incorporates a new level of modularity allowing the instructors to suit it perfectly for their needs. At its most expansive form, the simulation will incorporate a decision-making process that is highly demanding, but it can also be configured to facilitate concentration on only the core bank operations.
The modules that can be customized are:
- SME and Corporate banking
- Private and Institutions segments
- Investment services and/or products in any configuration
- Systems & processes and Risk management from back office operations
- Currencies, naming schemes, results presentation formatting etc.